Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Pirate Party

We just finished with a crazy weekend! Saturday morning I had my shower - I'm so surprised and grateful that my friends threw me a shower even though this is my third boy. But hey, Clothes wear out, things get broken, and diapers are always needed. We had a lovely time. As I was taking pics at the shower it occurred to me that I had never taken any pics of my friends here, and I do in fact have friends in San Antonio. I have been going to church at NEBC for a year now, and God has richly blessed me with friends - closer friendships than I thought I would have in one year, and I look forward to becoming closer still. So, here are some shower pics:

My hostesses: Amanda, Sandra, Leni, (me), and Kelly

Kelly and Leni

Mom, me, and Katie
P.S. Katie might win sister-in-law of the year award because she swept and mopped my floor for me before the party - which I knew was futile but really wanted done b/c I am in that stage of pregnancy!

Sandra, Wendy, and Dawn

And here is the pirate cake! It turned out really well, and I had fun making it. I never would have thought I'd be the type of mom to do cool cakes, but I really enjoy it and it's not hard. I think I like it b/c cakes like this are more in the vein of building, which I can do, than creating. If I had to make a wedding shower cake look pretty or something I would be pretty lost. It really helped to do this cake in stages and freeze it before I started icing the exterior. The party was a little crazy - it poured rain and we had to very quickly clean out the garage to make room for all the tables. Fortunately, it dried up in time for the pinata! Then that evening family and friends went out to the Grist Mill to eat! All in all, it was a great time.

5 comments:

da momma said...

your cake is precious! HOW did you do that???

The Stringers said...

I used family-fun.com and coolest-birthday-cakes.com! They had step by step instructions. For the ship I baked 2 8" round cakes, cut both in half, iced and stacked the halves and turned it on its side - after freezing!

Amy Porter said...

I'm super impressed with the cake!! I love making cakes for my kids parties as well...so I totally get what you were saying! :) Also...did Leni go to ACU? I think that I know her! You will have to ask her...she knew Britney way better, but I'm pretty sure that it is the same Leni...looks like her and how many Leni's are there!? :) Small world!

The Stringers said...

Yes, she did!

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

What a great time and your friends look lovely... and that belly is something else... love the cake.