Monday, August 11, 2008

Sooner

Every year, the third week of July, I drive up to Ardmore, Oklahoma to be a camp counselor at Sooner Youth Camp. It is hot, muggy, buggy, and there is no A/C. I wouldn't miss it for the world. Really. I even tried to go last year when I was 34 weeks pregnant, but they wouldn't let me. I started going there as a camper when I was in high school and I have been going back as a counselor for six years. Hopefully next year Kyle will be able to join me. Apparently they require week long proof of a husband before doing away with "Hey, Bennett!" Really, they do know my name, I think they just like teasing me and are avoiding change - two strong themes of camp, I think. Anyway, this year I also got to teach 14 and 15 year old girls' forum - which I love doing. They were great this year, lots of questions. Much better than staring in silence. These were my girls this year. Five thirteen year olds. Yikes. They were actually very sweet.
Some of my Fave girl campers - all Twilight fans, of course. If you haven't read it yet, you need to.
Two fellow counselors, Tiffany and Talan. Everybody dresses up a little in the evening, in case your wondering why we're wearing dresses. In a random side note, I think Talan is one of the prettiest girls I've ever seen. She is just always so cute and sweet, too.
Okay, this makes me feel supremely old. These are the Sharps. Bryan, the dad, was my youth minister growing up and he is director of camp. I used to babysit his three kids. One of which has graduated from college and the youngest is headed there. Jonathon, Jared, and Jennalee, from left to right. It has been a delight to watch them transition in adulthood and count them among my friends.
I love Sooner. It is always the best singing I hear all year and such a spiritual lift. I love circle devo at night under the stars. I fully expect "My God and I" to be sung at my funeral!

4 comments:

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

That is awesome... I miss camp days and this makes me so jealous... you look so good and happy... I love it.

Jill said...

ok so it looks like this week is out for dinner. i forgot about two things i have...one thurs. night and one friday...maybe next week?
ps-i was for jacob until the last book...but i think everything ended nicely for those vampires :)

SheridanLeftwich said...

Oh wait...one more thing. So do you think it is as crazy as I do that you moved across the street from one of my relatives. It is such a small world.

Sascha Terry said...

NO WAY! I looked at that picture of the Sharps and had no idea who I was looking at! Jonathan really threw me off! They look like a great bunch.

Hope you and the fam are well. Tell Kyle "hello" for me.