Thursday, March 26, 2009

Snake business

The other day at Landa Park the kids and I noticed a snake. No, I'm not scared of snakes at all due to my upbringring, although I run away from roaches. I didn't say it was logical. Anyway, we kept a respectful distance away, well out of striking range, but I did point it out to Seth and we talked about it. It cracks me up. I'm sure most of the kids there will grow up terrified of snakes because of their mother's reactions. They were shrieking and making their children get back about 20 feet. Like it's some kind of amazing uber-snake that leaps great distances at people, away from its habitat, the water. Anyway. I couldn't tell while first looking at it whether it was just a water snake or a water moccasin - poisonous. So here's your snake lesson, you be the judge (Arwen, please have Randy look at this and give me the verdict!)
Here's the snake I saw:



Water snakes: non-triangular head. Usually long and skinny. Swims with only head out of water (I didn't get to see this one swimming). Can be banded. Round eyes.


Water Moccasins: triangular head. Has vertical slit-like pupils. Hour-glass banding. Can vary in color. Usually very thick for its length. Swims almost completely on top of water.



I know of a way to tell whether or not a snake is poisonous by looking at the underside of its tail, but I'm not getting that close if I'm not sure and it's not dead!


Diamond backed water snake (harmless)


Brown Water Snake:

Banded Water Snake:



Water Moccasin (venomous):



For the record, I am pretty sure it was just a Diamond backed water snake. We'll see what my brother Roger says - he's the resident animal expert!

4 comments:

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

no thanks on getting close to that one... but thanks for the tutorial.

The Stringers said...

Roger rules: Diamond backed water snake.

Arwen said...

Roger is right...diamond-backed watersnake.

Randy

Khristy said...

Sort of officially freaked now. We're not scared of snakes or really any creepy crawlies. In fact, Shawn often brings grass snakes, frogs, geckos, you name it, up to the door for the kids to view/pet, etc.

Having said that, we're walking the other day; JD is on his bike in front of us. My friend who is ahead of us starts yelling at JD to stop and don't touch. We get up there, and a snake is coiled in the middle of the path. We want it to move so we can get by so we get a stick to push it off the trail. Ticked off snake begins striking at it. Lovely. Big white mouth on that snake. From looking at your pic, it looked a LOT like the water mocassin. So, hmmmmm. We have now had the official discussion about not walking up and petting strange snakes. Hello??? That seemed pretty self-evident to me, but apparently not when you're a 4 yr. old boy. He's now allowed to only pet snakes when they're with their owner and he's asked permission. Good to know the ground rules, I guess.