Friday, August 6, 2010

A Post by the Dad

Kim has been hounding me to blog again, and I just never take the time to do it. I have been wanting to relate a great Blake story. Many of you have already heard it, because I tell it quite often when I'm speaking to people in the real world. It seems I have little else to offer people, as I am often asked, "So, what funny things have your kids done lately?" Well, here's a gem of a conversation I had with Blake a few months ago.
The back story is that Blake truly believes himself to be Superman. Their identities are one and the same to him. I came downstairs one morning to find him rummaging through the pantry, which is dangerous, as devotees will recall the garbage can footprint incident- that also happened when the pantry was mistakenly left open. He had pilfered a bag of Doritos from one of the top shelves by scaling them, and was happily munching away with cheese-dusted fingers when this conversation ensued:
Me: Blake, you know you're not allowed in the pantry, Sir.
Blake: Hi, Dad! I eat now.
Me: I see that you're eating. But that is not what we're having for breakfast. (I took the bag away and he squinted his eyes into a menacing glare and pointed a cheesy finger at me.)
Blake: Superman eat CHIPS a breckuss! (a breckuss means "at breakfast" for those who don't speak Blakenese)
It was, of course, one of those moments when it's completely impossible to keep from laughing. Justice can be swift, though, even if it finds you amusing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kyle, what kind of Dad would punish Superman??!! I mean, really?!
Marilyn
PS A good Dad, of course. Keep on truckin.