Sunday, August 29, 2010

August Happenings

Tabouleh is yummy. My kids love it. But what's especially nice is rubbing it all over yourself after you're done eating it. It makes you quite happy.

The weekend before school started we went down to the coast to go fishing offshore. It's a bit of a pilgrimage, I suppose. I miss The Gulf. I love San Antonio and trees and I want to live here, but I need to go out on the water more often than I get to. It feels like home. August is the best time, usually flat for going offshore. Not that day - 5 foot seas. Since Kyle gets sick in the bay and we had the kids with us, we decided to stay in the bay off the Liddy Ann channel. Andy and Katie took us out. We even got a sitter for Cullen so I could have fun (no offense, kid). But alas, the fish were not biting. Here is Seth with one of few fish caught - a skipjack that he reeled in. I am thrilled that my boys seem to love being out there as much as I do.

It was a beautiful day! Blue green water, blue sky, and lots of dolphins that day!
I caught the only keeper of the day - a redfish. Yum. I got him while Andy and I were wadefishing. Andy was great - he was patient and cast my line out for me and baited my hook at times (both things I am fully capable of doing, for the record. He was just being sweet). As a grown-up, a sister doesn't get much quality time with her brothers and it was great.
We also went cooning for Rock Crab. In case you don't know what that means, you put on a glove, muddy the water so the crab doesn't see you, stick your arm down his hole, yank him out (easier said than done), and rip off his claw. Then you throw him back. He'll grow a new one. This is the best food on earth and if you haven't tried it, I feel sorry for you. Roger and Andy got most of them, but I got a few. After feasting on crab that night with all Bennetts and Stringers, Roger and his family took Andy and the girls and Seth and I flounder gigging. Also one of my favorite activities. It was fun and exhausting and by far the latest Friggs has ever gotten to stay up - I figure he fell asleep in the canoe around midnight. But we only saw one 4 inch flounder. Boo! Nevertheless, we all had a blast. You may have noticed Kyle did not do many of these activities. Not because he wasn't interested, but because he's awesome. He knows how much I love these things and watched babies while I had fun. I married well :)
Friggs's first day of school. He is in first grade now and loving it. Doesn't he look adorable with missing teeth? And he lost another one that night. By the way, yes "Friggs's" is correct. A singular possessive should have " 's " even if it ends in "s". Sorry. I couldn't help myself. I'll stop now. Blake's 3rd birthday cake! He loved it, talked about it all week. Was so excited to see it. It turned out very well, thanks to the buttercream icing recipe I used. It's much easier to make the star things (don't know the term...) than to make smooth icing look good. I baked 2 13 x 9 cakes and Kyle cut the pattern out and arranged it - he drew it himself. I just iced it. We used mini marshmallows cut diagonally for the teeth. Success! This was my nicest looking cake yet.I will post pics of the birthday boy later! I need to take some new ones. He is changing - losing the toddler look.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you guys are awesome parents that cake is so creative paw said it

Anonymous said...

Great pics of a great shark! Loved watching you and Kyle team up on that b-day cake for Blake. Good memory! I admit being just a wee bit jealous that I wasn't fishing with ya'll also but soooooooooooooo thankful you are still close to "your boys". Rock crab is still the BEST! Mama

Sarah said...

Loved reading this post. So glad that you got to go to Portland. I'm missin' you my sweet friend. Hoping that the timing works out in October! (does it drive you crazy that none of my sentences are correct? Just thought I'd ask.)

Amy Porter said...

Well, you can feel sorry for me! I've never done or tasted any of that! Sounds fun! I'm glad you were able to go "home" and do that! Gotta love family time doing stuff you love to do!

Wes said...

Wow... so much going on in this post.

1st... I'm so jealous of the fishing.

2nd... When did Friggs turn 12?

3rd... You're a Nazi... a grammar Nazi. Usually I could care less [sic] But, in this case, it matters because it applies to me... which, yes, is the standard by which things should be measured as mattering or not. Anyways, I've never used the second "s" like in "Wes' shoes" because that's how Jesus did it... as in Jesus' disciples. And, well, if it's good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me. But, now that I revisit the idea... I think I like "Wes's" better. And, well, if it's good enough for The Grammar Nazi, it's good enough for me.

4th... those shark teeth are pure awesomeness on a cake.

You may now take out your red pen and dissect my comment.