Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Happy Anniversary







Nine years ago today I married my best friend. I am blessed to be married to someone whom I admire and respect, not to mention that he's handsome and makes me laugh all the time. Not only do I love him, but I'm IN Love with him, something that is unfortunately rare for this point in a marriage. We have so much fun together. I would love to say that it's been 9 years of wedded bliss, but really we could have killed each other the first couple of years! That might seem weird to mention on an anniversary post, but I have a point - some couples go through many years together without their marriage being tested, so they don't really know if their marriage is strong. We had some really tough things thrown at us the first few years, but God carried us through, and we're stronger than ever. I take comfort knowing that whatever comes, we can lick it. Here we are, nine years ago, all starry eyed and cute.


We had a Bennett family get-together with all my dad's family for my grandma's 90th birthday party. Notice Scooter is totally nude. The boys had been swimming. It was great to see everyone, my dad's brothers and my cousins, some of whom I hadn't seen since high school. It's so weird how everyone has grown up or gotten older; my uncles have grey hair now. Sometimes I'm just struck by the fact that to me, my dad is frozen in time at 47, and I wonder how he would look now, if he would have mellowed some with age or gotten crotchety. It's so strange that Kyle never got to meet him. At least with Andy around I get to see remnants of my dad in a smile or a glower, just certain expressions he has.
Okay, on to happy... here I am doing one of my favorite things - dancing. I think Chuck got a pic of us mid-spin. Mom, Chuck, and Kyle and I (kids too) went to a Mayfest in Anhalt, a little nothing town north of San Antonio. They had a complete German band, and it was all held in a beautiful old dancehall. We also ate Pot Roast and potatoes there, served family style to everyone. There were probably 150 people there or so. They played waltzes and polkas and I got to dance. We had the hardest time finding places to go in Dallas that were dance-hall/family atmosphere and not just a bar. Seth got out there and danced his little heart out. I even took Blake for a spin. We had a blast.
Here is the cake I made for Seth's 4th birthday party. Yes, my child wanted a Jet fighter cake. He loves living close to the Airforce base and seeing the planes overhead all the time. This sucker was hard to make and did not end up perfectly. At one point, I actually called my friend Jaime and said, "Okay, I have icing in my hair and on my boob, and I'm gonna roll this cake in a ditch and burn it. HELP!" She calmly suggested putting the cake in the freezer for a couple of hours before trying to ice it. It worked. Seth wanted a strawberry cake, which was a little too moist to ice well. It kinda looked like the plane was bleeding at first. Oh well, it turned out looking fine.



One last pic - here I am instructing Friggs on the intricacies of wearing lizards as earrings. I have another one in my hand and am in the process of putting him on my other ear. I love having boys!!






7 comments:

Jill said...

ok neighbor, i kind of feel like a crazy stalker reading about you when you're right across the street, but hey...blame it on tamra which is where i found your blog in the first place.
second...you must come over! scarlett is "best friends" with a little lizard that lives on our porch and i am completely afraid of lizards, so we need you to come catch it for her. i stand inside and pretend not to be totally freaked out while she tries to coax it into her hand.

Arwen said...

Reed loves your earrings! He likes lizards too. Lizard earrings...the new "green" accessory. Great post.
Love, Arwen

emblair said...

Kim- you are so much fun! You look beautiful in your wedding dress, you're brave to hold your little guy buck naked, it's fun to see you dancing (even in mid-spin), the cake looks awesome, and I can't believe the lizard earrings!! Congrats on nine years...that's no small feat.

Marna said...

Kim, Kyle and I just celebrated 13 years on the 3rd. I was struck by your post, just because we were discussing the same thing on our anniversary. We have had some really hard times, I questioned God on the purpose of them, but would not trade them for anything. We have weathered the storm, made sure that our foundation was grounded in the Lord when there was nothing else, and made it out the other side. We are stronger for it, and are assured that we are both in it to stay, for the long haul. Marriage is such a blessing, if you let God be the center of it. Congrats on 9yrs. Y'all deserve it.

SheridanLeftwich said...

So cool earings!

Would be even better dipped on gold. You could sell those.

Josh and I will be nine years this August. My how time has flown. Congrats on the big day!

larshannon said...

Happy Anniversary!!! I love the pictures you put up. It was especially fun to see the 1st married one.

I know I've made some birthday cakes that almost did me in! You would think they would look AMAZING after all the blood, sweat, and tears! I love the fighter jet cake and so did my boys!

Anonymous said...

Let me just say, for the record, that the cake was yummy!!!

Also, congrats on the anniversary. Mark and I will be celebrating 3 months next week. Now THAT's a long time.... ;)

We miss y'all. Let's make a date!